Re: Anyone tried storing software users as database users?

To: Paul Rogers <progers(at)sparkbase(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anyone tried storing software users as database users?
Date: 2009-04-28 18:59:31
Lists: pgsql-admin
Paul Rogers schrieb:
> If so then how did you handle permissions, errors, connection pooling?

Hey there!

I'm currently working on an .NET application with user- and
privilege-management via database.

Privileges and access to frontend modules (in the application), tables,
functions etc. (in db) is controled via group-membership in the database
backend by querying pg_groups.
User-creation etc. (say "superuser-tasks" ) is done with functions that
have definer-security-access (access to those controlled via user groups)

Errorhandling is done by evaluating db-error messages in try-catch-clauses.

There's no special need of any special conn-pooling-functions in my
application.

The application is coded in vb.net, using npgsql with Postgres 8.2 in
background.

Need to know more? --> Just ask.

Greetings,
H.P. Ertz