Re: Oracle to buy Sun

From: Melanie <melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Scott Mead <scott(dot)mead(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle to buy Sun
Date: 2009-04-20 14:09:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

<head>
</head>
I'm sure you know more on this than I do, I've heard most developers
for MySql are basically gone, MySql has been competition against
Oracles higher cost program and my non-techie market experience is that
companies may start out trying to hold on to something they buy but if
it undercuts their main product, the main product wins out.&nbsp; Techies
are different though so perhaps..<br>
Scott Mead wrote:
cite="mid:d3ab2ec80904200702u3c8b3c1ci966f8a62179a82e8(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com"
type="cite">
dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net">melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">You'd
have to think MySql's demise is highly likely which would likely be a
good thing for PostgeSQL, more demand for non-oracle licenses and lower
costs in todays economy means people will look for ways to reduce price
with a good database and PostgreSQL will be a respected solution.</blockquote>
I would tend to disagree that it will die.&nbsp; The recent new release of
innodb
(<a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://www.innodb.com/wp/2009/03/11/innodb-plugin-version-103-for-mysql-5130-32-33-released/">http://www.innodb.com/wp/2009/03/11/innodb-plugin-version-103-for-mysql-5130-32-33-released/</a>)
suggests that Oracle is not really interested in letting mysql die
completely.&nbsp; If I had to guess, I would say that mysql would probably
be somewhat revitalized by the acquisition.&nbsp; Sun has typically tended
to be where good ideas go to suffer a lengthy death... Oracle moves
deceptively yet true to its convictions, and never without a keen eye
for the market.&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp; My guess?&nbsp; Oracle drops a few dollars on innodb, maybe even a few
back into Mysql, and pushes it to new heights in the open source RDBMS
world.&nbsp; I see some tough competition for postgres coming up, but hey,
competition has been known to drive innovation before.&nbsp; I would say
competitive times lay ahead. <br>
Just my two pennies :)<br>
--Scott&nbsp; <br>

Attachment Content-Type Size