Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :)

From: "Dave Held" <dave(dot)held(at)arrayservicesgrp(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! :)
Date: 2005-04-22 21:49:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fair enough.

> I suspect most people here are already well aware of the
> advantages and disadvantages of C++.

That's where we disagree.  In my experience, most C++ programmers
know C, but most C programmers only know C++ through second-hand
knowledge.  And this community has already professed a fairly
thorough commitment to C.  I also don't find the rebuttals to the
arguments for migration to be particularly compelling.  In this
case, I wouldn't even ask the core developers to do all the work.
I would volunteer to do a lot of the grunt work in making the code
base valid C++ (and I suspect several others would as well), and
doing the other updates to make the code more idiomatic C++.  I
would only ask them to play along when the style shifts.

> Apologies if I have offended you.

No offense taken.

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group
200 14th Ave. East,  Sartell, MN 56377
320.534.3637 320.253.7800 800.752.8129

Next:From: eleinDate: 2005-04-22 22:05:56