Re: [PERFORM] Help with tuning this query (with

From: "Dave Held" <dave(dot)held(at)arrayservicesgrp(dot)com>
To: "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "John A Meinel" <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,"Ken Egervari" <ken(at)upfactor(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Help with tuning this query (with
Date: 2005-03-08 00:11:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32pgsql-performance

Yes.

> In which case using it would be a mistake. Since rtdsc doesn't
> work across processors.

It doesn't always use RDTSC.  I can't find anything authoritative on
when it does.  I would assume that it would use RDTSC when available
and something else otherwise.

> And using it via QueryPerformanceCounter would be a non-portable
> approach to using rtdsc. Much better to devise a portable
> approach that works on any architecture where something equivalent
> is available.

How do you know that QueryPerformanceCounter doesn't use RDTSC
where available, and something appropriate otherwise?  I don't see
how any strategy that explicitly executes RDTSC can be called
"portable".

> Or already works on multi-processor machines? In which case, uh, ok.

According to MSDN it does work on MP systems, and they say that "it
doesn't matter which CPU gets called".

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group
200 14th Ave. East,  Sartell, MN 56377
320.534.3637 320.253.7800 800.752.8129

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Dave HeldDate: 2005-03-08 00:29:31
Previous:From: jesse dDate: 2005-03-07 23:54:08
Next:From: Dave HeldDate: 2005-03-08 00:29:31