Re: phpinfo() doesn't show postgres as a configured module

From: Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: phpinfo() doesn't show postgres as a configured module
Date: 2009-04-11 02:01:59
Lists: pgsql-php

Steve Crawford wrote:
> my extraidentity wrote:
>>
>> When I run the PHP function phpinfo() on my server that has both
>> Apache and PHP on it, it doesn't show postgres as a configured
>> module. I am running Apache version 2.0.54 and PHP version 5.2.8
>> (however the phpinfo() function displays that it is version 5.0.4
>> ; what is up with that???)
>>
>> What command do I need to run to get the postgres module to work
>> with PHP? I have tried to configure the server this way and it
>> didn't seem to fix it:
>>
>> ./configure --with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql/
>> --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
>> make
>>
>> Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
>>
> Multiple things, possibly. What OS and how did you install PHP and PG?
>
> I'll venture a guess that you somehow installed PHP and/or PG with
> whatever system installer your disro uses (yum? apt?...) and it ended up
> wherever that distro specifies. Then you compiled some stuff from source
> and it ended up in the "normal" locations defined by the source/makefile
> defaults and you have ended up with two or more versions (5.0.4/5.2.8)
> of PHP. You could even end up with Apache seeing one version and PHP
> command-line seeing a different one. Once you sort that out, be sure to
> enable PG in php.ini.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

If phpinfo() doesn't show the Postgres options, it was compiled without
them. That's the same problem I have with Slackware. The packaged
version of PHP only includes the MySQL addictionware. No matter what I
do, I can't get it configured my way. So I don't install those packages,
but get the source for Apache, PHP and Postgres. That's the only way I
can make sure they get compiled and installed with my choice of options,
not those of someone with a hidden agenda trying to promote an inferior
product.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP