Re: Postgres 8.x on Windows Server in production

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen(at)etf(dot)bg(dot)ac(dot)yu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.x on Windows Server in production
Date: 2009-04-10 18:07:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Ognjen,

> What are your experiences with Postgres 8.x in production use on Windows
> Server 2003/2008? Are there any limitations, trade-offs or quirks?

First of all, you need to know that the first *two* digits of a
PostgreSQL version are major version numbers. So 8.3 is not the same
Postgres which 8.1 is.

Here's the top level summary:

PostgreSQL on Windows, compared to Linux, in general:
-- is a bit slower
-- is not as reliable, because the underlying FS and OS are not as
reliable*
-- some of the tools for Postgres which are available on Linux do not
work on Windows (especially performance tools)
-- is less secure, because the OS is less secure

Yet 1000's of users are running PostgreSQL on Windows in production. It
really depends on what kind of application you're running, and what its
demands are. For a CMS or a contact manager or a personnel directory?
No problem. For a central payroll system for 18,000 employees? I'd
use Linux.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.