Re: Array passing

From: John Lister <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Array passing
Date: 2009-04-09 08:17:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Oliver Jowett wrote:
> John Lister wrote:
>
>> Personally I think the extra network traffic is worth it.
>
> Maybe for your use case, but are you prepared to make that decision
> for every user of the driver?
>
> (also, it's the added latency that's really the problem, for simple
> queries you could end up doubling the execution time)

I agree and wasn't suggesting it be applied to everyone/query. I was
planning to add an option (as is already the case in the original patch).
Additionally it probably only makes sense to do this for
PreparedStatements as normal Statements are likely to be simple one off
queries. Also given the jdbc docs states they are pre-compiled you'd
expect prepared statements to suffer some slight overhead during the
preparation in return for better execution time.

Thoughts