Re: Partitioning feature ...

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Nikhil Sontakke <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Kedar Potdar <kedar(dot)potdar(at)gmail(dot)com>, Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)asterdata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Amit Gupta <amit(dot)pc(dot)gupta(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Partitioning feature ...
Date: 2009-03-31 15:59:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> We already have system triggers -- the FK triggers.  I don't think we've
>> had all that much trouble with them.
>>

> In the case of the FK triggers, it's intentional (and maybe even
> documented) that users should be able to place their own triggers before
> or after the FK triggers.

If it's documented I think it's well hidden ;-) ISTM that the fact that
we implement FK constraints via triggers is really an implementation
detail, not something the user should be encouraged to mess with.

>  Is there a good reason why partitioning
> triggers should be different?

Probably not. ISTM that the scheme should turn tgisconstraint into a
multi-valued item (tgkind: 'u' = userland, 'c'= constraint, 'p' =
partition or some such).

cheers

andrew