Re: Hard link backup strategy

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Michael Monnerie" <michael(dot)monnerie(at)is(dot)it-management(dot)at>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hard link backup strategy
Date: 2009-03-31 14:11:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

Michael Monnerie <michael(dot)monnerie(at)is(dot)it-management(dot)at> wrote:
> It is no problem if B reads, A can copy without a problem, even
> without the cp before mv.

B could open the file while it is being copied, and read to the
current end of file before A has finished copying. If we used rsync
it would, by default, copy to a temporary file name in the target
directory and mv to the right name when complete, but we prefer the cp
to a temp directory and explicitly mv, because of the subsequent rsync
steps copyig out of the target directory.

-Kevin