Re: Code snippet hosting?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code snippet hosting?
Date: 2009-03-19 17:04:24
Lists: pgsql-www
> People often post a function, a script, or a complex query that is
> general enough to be worth keeping but perhaps not appropriate for
> pgfoundry or the documentation. MySQL has a code snippet service for
> that: <http://forge.mysql.com/tools/>. I think something like this would
> be quite useful for PostgreSQL as well. Perhaps the wiki could be used
> for that; I'm not sure.

Yeah, this was *supposed* to be a feature of GForge when we adopted it.
  It wasn't until after we lit up GForge and moved the accounts over
from GBorg that Tim let me know that the snippets stuff didn't work and
he was planning on dumping it.

In theory also, Roberto Mello was going to come back a year ago and
re-build the function repository, but he never did.

So let's use whatever we can get up quickly.  If we're going to use a
wiki for this, though, can it be a separate wiki from
wiki.postgresql.org?  If I'm searching for a specific function, I don't
want to hit dozens of pages about database conversion and commitfests.

--Josh