Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data
Date: 2009-03-19 15:34:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Harald Armin Massa, 17.03.2009 15:00:
>> That is: what table size would you or anybody consider really,
>> really large actually?
>
> I recently attended and Oracle training by Tom Kyte and he said
> (partially joking though) that a database is only large when the size
> is measured in terrabytes :) So really, really large would mean
> something like 100 petabytes
>

> My personal opinion is that a "large" database has more than ~10
> million rows in more than ~10 tables.
>
> Thomas

I would say that as far as GPS data goes the street maps of the world
would be pretty big.

openstreetmap.org is still a work in progress but their current db dumps
gzip down to 6.4GB. It was a while back that I noseyed around with it
but I do recall that it compressed well and was very large uncompressed.
Don't recall how many rows it contained.

I wonder what an almost complete world street map like google maps comes
in at?

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz