Re: [DOCS] the sad state of our FAQs

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] the sad state of our FAQs
Date: 2009-03-09 19:21:42
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-www
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I proposed this previously but got no support from Bruce who is supposed
>> to be the FAQ maintainer, and thus I ended up doing nothing.  Therefore
>> I now offer to do the job required to move them to XML Docbook and allow
>> translatability using xml2po or something similar.
>
> I am fine with whatever changes people suggestion;  the FAQ just isn't
> updated that often for me to care where it resides.

I think that statement alone is a good indicator of why it has to be moved.

Some figures for the interested, btw.

The FAQ had ~7700 reads from ~6300 unique visitors last month.

These people received information that was simply incorrect. I think
that's more than enough people to care about.

As a reference point, the Windows FAQ on the wiki had ~6900 reads from
~5800 unique visitors (the most popular page on the wiki other than the
frontpage). So I think it's pretty clear that putting it on the wiki
doesn't make less people look at it - at least not with the link that's
there from the main site.

//Magnus