Re: pl/php for windows

From: Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de>
To: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)morphoss(dot)com>
Cc: "\"Rodrigo E(dot) De\" León Plicet" <rdeleonp(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/php for windows
Date: 2009-03-07 17:51:56
Lists: pgsql-php

Andrew McMillan schrieb:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 01:34 -0500, Rodrigo E. De León Plicet wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com> wrote:
>>> (...) we have a company policy forbidding stored procedures (...)
>> Why would that be?
>>
>> Just curious...
>
> I can't speak for Bob, and they probably have different reasons, but
> personally I almost always only write stored procedures in SQL or
> PL/PgSQL, and I think very hard about it before deciding to do so, and
> try and be careful to design to a minimal functionality that can then be
> used in normal SQL.
>
> There can be memory effects from loading a large interpreter into a
> PostgreSQL client, which can cause pain if you have many connections,
> but mostly I don't trust the software versions to become wildly out of
> sync and multiply the installation & maintenance complexity.
>
> PostgreSQL also can have some problems planning queries containing
> functions.

Hi Andrew,

woooh .... sounds like giving the advice to reduce the usage of user
defined functions to a minimum. But in my opinion it should be a good
idea to move functionality to the database in case you work with a
Language like PHP. As I recognized it is a good idea to do so 'cause the
database is often faster than PHP.

I am speaking of PL/pgsql and SQL udf's.

Did I misunterstand you? Are there other experiences? In which cases is
the planner forced to have problems with statements containing udf's?

Cheers

Andy