Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1668)

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1668)
Date: 2009-03-06 10:25:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> One matter was "use" permission, but I can agree to integrate
> it into "select" permission as the original design did.

Ok, great.

> The other is view. When we use a view in the query, it is extracted
> as a subquery and its query tree is fetched from pg_rewrite.ev_action
> which is already parsed. It means we need to ensure the parsed
> representation is not manipulated. The simplest solution is to prevent
> updating the pg_rewrite.ev_action by hand when SE-PostgreSQL is enabled.

Agreed. If SE-PostgreSQL is enabled, you need to forbid manual updates
to a lot of catalog tables. This is just another case of the same.

> I think smaller hard-wired rules are better, but it is a very corner-case
> and its benefit cannot be ignorable.
> - It enables to reduce the "walker" code from sepgsql/checker.c.
> (I guess it makes reduce a few hundreds lines.)
> - It helps to maintain code to pick up what tables/columns are
> accessed.
>
> If nobody disagree it, I'll integrate "use" permission into "select" and
> remove the "walker" code from sepgsql/checker.c due to the next Monday.
> It affects on sepgsql/checker.c, but I expect little changes on others.
> I'm happy, if you don't stop reviewing patches except for checker.c.

Sounds good, though I'm not 100% sure I understood what you're going to
replace the walker with. Seeing the patch will surely enlighten that :-).

--
Heikki Linnakangas