Re: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
Date: 2009-03-02 23:53:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Stanley Wong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I encounter a problem regarding setting up a JNDI Datasource at Tomcat
> with PostgreSQL under Linux Suse 10.3 environment. This is the
> exception.
>
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
> driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

Using your sample works for me with the changes indicated below.

> I wonder if there are some additional settings that I may have
> forgotten.
>
> Would you give me a hand here?
>
> Stanley
>

> Here is what I do:
>
> 0) Ensure the postgreSQL.jar is stored inside the tomcat/lib
>
> 1) Create a context.xml in the META-INF. The context.xml defines the
> context below:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <Context path="/someApp" docBase="someApp"
> crossContext="true" reloadable="true" debug="1">

Take out path and docBase. Since you are defining a context, Tomcat
knows those.

> 3) Use the following code to get the connection:
>
> public Connection getConnection() {
> Connection conn = null;
> Context initCtx;
> try {
> initCtx = new InitialContext();
> DataSource ds = (DataSource) initCtx
>
> lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/postgres");

You are missing a decimal point between initCtx and lookup.

Where are you running this code? I created a sample JSP page dbtest.jsp
and placed it in the root directory of the context. I called my context
text, so under that I had dbtest.jsp, META-INF and WEB-INF. Since you
are creating the datasource within the context, only Java code running
within the context has access to it.

--
Guy Rouillier