Have \d show child tables that inherit from the specified parent

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Have \d show child tables that inherit from the specified parent
Date: 2009-02-25 23:25:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Last week, i took some time to check if i was still able to write some
basic C code. So i looked into the TODO list and picked some trivial items.

This one is very basic, it just shows the child tables of a specific
table when you type \d <tablename> in psql :

# create table mother(id SERIAL);
# create table daughter() inherits(mother);
# create table daughter2() inherits(mother);
# create schema plop;
# create table plop.daughter3() inherits(mother);
# \d mother
                         Table "public.mother"
 Column |  Type   |                      Modifiers
 id     | integer | not null default nextval('mother_id_seq'::regclass)
Child tables: daughter,

I understand that it may not be the best moment to submit such a trivial
patch, as most of you are working hard on more important topics. If you
think i should submit it later, just let me know.

BTW, this is the first patch i submit so any comment is more than welcome.

damien clochard |