Re: Service not starting: Error 1053

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Frank Featherlight <dirtydude(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Service not starting: Error 1053
Date: 2009-02-25 13:43:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Richard Huxton wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> Of course, none of this helps if the culprit is a DLL or a 3rd party
>>> program that allocates the adress space immediately at CreateProcess.
>> AFAIK all the cases where we *have* identified the culprit (which has
>> been antivirus or firewall), this is exactly what it was doing...
>
> Would it be possible to build a tool that runs through a series of
> permission-checks, tries to grab some shared-memory, write to files in
> the appropriate folders etc. and then shows the name of any process
> interfering? Half the problem is that whenever someone has
> Windows-related difficulties there's no standard tools we can use to
> diagnose.

Well, we have one already - it's called PostgreSQL :)

The thing is we're doing some fairly complex things as we start up. And
since we don't know exactly what the problem is, we don't know what to
look for. We'd have to run the whole thing over again... And still not
be able to point out *what* is the problem, since we don't know...

What we could do is some small tool that looks for filter drivers and
throws out a warning about it. But I'm not sure if that will make things
better - it'll warn on known things like antivirus, but if people don't
read the documentation/FAQ/lists about that, will they download a
separate tool and run it?

//Magnus