Re: Front end?

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Afton & Ray Still <rastill(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Front end?
Date: 2004-12-19 04:27:26
Lists: pgsql-novice
Ray,

On Dec 18, 2004, at 7:04 PM, Afton & Ray Still wrote:

> Hello;
>  I have spent a little time on PgAdmin III. I can see I'm playing with
> a lot of power. Now I need to figure out how to use the database. Is
> what I'm looking for the front end? (sorry haven't done much with data
> bases since paradox 3.) I'm looking for a front end(?) that is
> relativly easy, (I don't mind programing if necessary) cheap or
> preferably free, and has fairly good abilities for formated output. I
> would also like to be able to create a standalone application if
> possible.

pgAdmin III is a generic front end for using PostgreSQL. It does not
have facilities for building interfaces or applications. PostgreSQL is
just a data server -- there are no interfaces building tools like you
might have had with paradox.

It sounds like what you might be looking for is a development tool for
building a custom PostgreSQL interface? If you are looking for
something simple with interface building tools, maybe RealBasic
(http://realbasic.com/) or Revolution (http://www.runrev.com/).

If by "standalone" application you mean something where the database
and application are integrated, you are probably using the wrong
database. PostgreSQL is a server type database and will be difficult to
embed in an application compared to something like SQLite.

You can likely get some better suggestions if you provide more details
on what you are trying to do.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/