Re: What's the deal with this site? - More FYI than anything else...

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Chander Ganesan <chander(dot)ganesan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: What's the deal with this site? - More FYI than anything else...
Date: 2009-02-21 09:33:49
Lists: pgsql-www
Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Chander Ganesan wrote:
>>> http://eastside.wirebound.net/
>>>
>>> I notice that its pretty deep in the google (showing up in search
>>> results fairly high), and seems to be a mirror of some sort.
>>>
>>> Just noticed it and was wondering if that's something that's
>>> known/sanctioned....or if its a mirror that is misbehaving.
>>
>> eastside is one of the static mirror frontends for www.postgresql.org.
> I suspected that.  However, shouldn't it show up as wwwX.postgresql.org,
> as opposed to directly via eastside?  The fact that it's getting into
> google's cache via a different name seems like kind of a problem, since
> google doesn't like the duplicate content (for one, AFAIK it hurts
> pagerank)...and you've now got things so that if eastside goes
> away/changes names in the future, people will get a bunch of bad links
> from google for awhile...

eastside is not a mirror that is directly controlled by the us (magnus
is the contact point for that one).
It's not like we are actively refering to eastside.wirebound.net
anywhere on the main site - so I'm not sure why it is actually showing
up in google using that particular hostname.

> Perhaps a permanennt redirect from the eastside URL to the same URL with
> the www.postgresql.com domain?

well that assumes that eastside.wirebound.net is not supposed to carry
any other content - and btw all our www-mirrors do actually have
different hostnames :-)

Stefan