Re: Benchmark comparing PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sergio Lopez <sergio(dot)lopez(at)nologin(dot)es>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Benchmark comparing PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle
Date: 2009-02-20 23:17:02
Lists: pgsql-performance
Robert Haas wrote:

> The biggest flaw in the benchmark by far has got to be that it was
> done with a ramdisk, so it's really only measuring CPU consumption.
> Measuring CPU consumption is interesting, but it doesn't have a lot to
> do with throughput in real-life situations.

... and memory access. Measuring these two in isolation from any
(real/usual) io system is interesting but perhaps only as a curiosity -
however, it would become much more interesting if we could see how the
results change when a disk based filesystem is used (or even raw for the
big O and innodb and filesystem for postgres...).

regards

Mark