Re: dissimilar drives in Raid10 , does it make difference ?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dissimilar drives in Raid10 , does it make difference ?
Date: 2009-02-14 08:46:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
Matthew Wakeling wrote:

> In fact, it is recommended that two different types of drives are used.
> That way, if there's a mass failure of a whole batch of drives from one
> particular vendor, you don't lose all your data.

Don't think this is just paranoia, either. I've had it happen to me
SEVERAL times - either a second drive fails before I can replace the
first, or the second drive in a pair fails during rebuild onto the
replacement. I use regular RAID scrubbing, so this isn't just a case of
undetected media errors.

Nothing beats good backups.

--
Craig Ringer