Re: weakness and strenghts of PG

From: Artacus <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: weakness and strenghts of PG
Date: 2009-02-08 04:50:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Here is a decent article comparing different db implementations.
http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/
It doesn't include firebird, but does include DB2 and informix. Some of
the deficiencies of Postges addressed will be rectified in the upcoming
8.4 release.

In my opinion the best two databases out there to develop on are
Postgres and Oracle. Oracle has the richest feature set of any database,
but Postgres is easier to work with. Take arrays for instance. Oracle
has 3 different implementations of arrays (varrays, nested tables &
assoc arrays) Postgres only has 1 array type. But using Oracle arrays is
so complicated I hardly ever use them while Postgres' arrays are dead
easy and extremely powerful.

I think the biggest weakness of Postgres is advocacy and integration. We
have current versions of popular distributions shipping with ancient
versions of Postgres. Or try finding a web host that runs the current
version of Postgres. The other day I was going to do a small project in
Ruby and Postgres and I spent a couple hours trying to get Ruby talking
to Postgres on Windows. It's going to be impossible for Postgres to
compete with MySQL while this continues.

Artacus