Re: weaknesses and strenghts of PG

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)fcon(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: weaknesses and strenghts of PG
Date: 2009-02-07 19:35:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Thomas Finneid wrote:

> I am researching an advocation paper on Postgres. Basically I would like
> to make a list of the most important strengths and weaknesses of
> Postgres compared to a couple of other major databases.
>
> The aim is to have a factual technical background for when advocating
> Postgres to potential users.

My Tech Talk at HP last year had a bunch of this:

https://fossbazaar.org/content/josh-berkus-two-great-open-source-databases-comparison-2008-06-26

I will say overall, that a *real* comparison of appropriateness of
various databases will have to be painfully detailed.  I was asked at
Sun to do a breakdown of "when should we recommend" just for Postgres,
MySQL, Derby and Oracle; I wouldn't want to do the whole field.  And
don't forget that there's a whole new ball game of specialty databases
these days, including (but not limited to):

DW/BI databases:
	Greenplum
	Netezza
	Aster
	Paraccel
	LucidDB
	etc.

Object/Multivalue DBs:
	DB4O
	Cache
	CouchDB

Embedded DBs
	HSQLDB
	Derby
	SQLite

Others
	Hypertable
	Memcached

Also, when you compare "MySQL" you have to treat each storage engine
really as a separate database for comparison purposes; they don't behave
the same, and usually migration between table types is very difficult.

I hope you have a year for this project!

--Josh Berkus