Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?

From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj(at)cubic(dot)org>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Anyone do video streaming / podcasting?
Date: 2009-02-03 23:08:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy sfpug

Hello Database folks,

> I think that's the sticking point. What made the earlier (kludged-up,
> awful) thing I did work so well was that it was live and let the folks
> in Beijing ask questions while the talk was still going.

I've never used skype, but if multiple people could join the same skype
connection/chat to see/listen to the broadcast I would suggest the
following setup.

1) Use some camcorder which can record and simultaneously output the
video signal as composite/SVHS.
2) Use some capture card/usb stick to input the live video/audio feed
into a skype.
3) After the talk someone can edit the recording and put it up on one of
the internet video platforms for archival purposes.

If skype doesn't do the trick, we should stick to the de-facto standard
for internet video: flash video. We would then either need the official
Macromedia flash (streaming) server or utilize for example the free Red5
server (http://osflash.org/red5). However I have no personal experience
with setting up such a system (yet).

On the audio: For the small rooms we usually hold the meetups I think
the camcorder internal mic should be sufficient. If we need better audio
we would need a small mixer with mic-preamp and however many mic's we
like, but I suggest for the very first try we simply use whatever the
camcorder has (those devices were made for those in-room situations
[think of wedding video]).

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj