Re: Next: Encoding Issue

From: Devin Ben-Hur <devin(at)ben-hur(dot)net>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: "Ewan, Michael" <michael(dot)ewan(at)intel(dot)com>, "pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Next: Encoding Issue
Date: 2009-02-03 05:40:05
Lists: pdxpug

Ewan, Michael wrote:
> In the shell environment
>
> export LC_ALL=C
>
> This will often fix many locale ills.

You will likely want to reinitialize your database cluster with `initdb
--locale=C --encoding=UTF-8 -D /where/ever/your/database/is`. Once the
locale for a cluster is set, it can not be changed (though alternate
compatible encodings can be specified per database) and it looks like
the Rich's was init'd with locale=en_US.LATIN1 which will not
accommodate a UTF8 encoding.