Re: database2uml software

From: "Rosta Farzan" <rosta(at)acc(dot)csuhayward(dot)edu>
To: <pknoob(at)noos(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database2uml software
Date: 2003-03-31 00:46:08
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi Don,

Don,

You can use the postgresql_qutodoc as follows:
Usage:
  postgresql_autodoc.pl [options] [dbname [username]]

  -d <dbname>     Specify database name to connect to )
  -f <file>       Specify UML (dia) output file
  -F <file>       Specify index (HTML) output file
  -h <host>       Specify database server host
  -p <port>       Specify database server port
  -u <username>   Specify database username
  --password=<pw> Specify database password

  --no-index      Do NOT generate HTML index
  --no-uml        Do NOT generate XML dia file
  --no-docbook    Do NOT generate DocBook SGML file(s)
  --no-dot        Do NOT generate directed graphs in the dot language
(GraphViz)

For example if your dbname=test, and username=user and password=pass you
can run the script like this (in the directory that you have the file on
it)

../postgresql_autodoc.pl -d test -u user --password='pass'  -F test.dia

this will create the UML file test.dia in the same directory

to get more help on running the postgresql_autodoc.pl you can use
../postgresql_autodoc.pl --help

I hope it helps.

Rosta

>> Don,
>>
>> Try postgresql_autodoc-1.01.tar.gz I have been using it and it is
>> great.
>>  It creates a dia file.  Of course all the boxes/tables are on top of
>> one another and you manually have to organize the layout.  The only
>> really problem is that the referencial integrety relationships are a
>> type of line that you can't insert a bend or curve into.  But its is
>> still a really sharp tool.
>>
>> Phillip Allen
>
> ok thanx it looks great but I don't how to use perl script with pgsql
> (cause  it's a *.pl file right?). could you tell me how to use it
> please?
>
> thanx in advance

Rosta Farzan
Laboratory for Adaptive Hypermedia and Assistive Technologies
Department of Math and Computer Science CSU Hayward
rosta(at)acc(dot)csuhayward(dot)edu
(510) 885-4026