Re: 2 smaller feature requests

From: "Andreas Neumann" <a(dot)neumann(at)carto(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2 smaller feature requests
Date: 2008-05-29 10:10:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

>> * Table Creation Dialogue --> Column-tab --> Add --> New column
>> dialogue:
>> Would it be possible to offer the data type "serial" and "bigserial"
>> along
>> with the other data types offered? I know this is not a true datatype,
>> but
>> a convenience shortcut. As such, it would also be convenient to have it
>> in
>> pgAdmin. I use this data type for almost every table for the primary key
>> column, since it is the easiest way to get autoincrementation.
>>

> It's already available. You'll find it at the end of the combobox
> listing all the types.

ah yes, sorry - now I see it. I never scrolled to the bottom of the data
type list. I expected it to be in the alphabetical order.

> We know this is not an ideal GUI. Works are intended in this area for
> pgAdmin III next release.
>
>> * Table Creation Dialogue --> Column-tab: it would be convenient if one
>> could re-order the columns after they were added with the "Add" Button.
>> This shouldn't be a problem prior to creation of the table. I would
>> suggest to have "Arrow buttons" to shift a column definition up and
>> down.
>> The user has to select a column definition (one row) and after pressing
>> the "Up" or "Down" button the order would change.
>>

> I find this really interesting. I just wonder how long it will take for
> someone to ask to have this feature even to alter a table.

well - modifying the order of columns after the table was created is
probably not possible. At least I am unaware of how to do this without
dropping and recreating the table.

But it would already help being able to change the order of columns during
the table setup, before it is created. One can disable those up/down
buttons when the user opens the table properties dialogue after the table
was created - either make them invisible or gray out/disable the buttons.

>> Thank you for considering or discussing my feature requests.
>>

> I'm quite interested by your last feature request. The first one, I
> think Dave wanted to work on it.

this is great.

Thank you!

Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 Grüt/Gossau, Switzerland