Plproxy functions inside transactions and Pl/pgsql exception handling

From: Igor Katson <descentspb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, plproxy-users(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Plproxy functions inside transactions and Pl/pgsql exception handling
Date: 2009-01-30 11:09:18
Lists: pgsql-general
As far as I understand, it is a known problem of using plproxy, that it
cannot be rolled back if used inside transactions. But I need something
similar to this functionality.

I have some data, that is duplicated across the DB partitions, and to be
exact, there is i.e. a plproxy-partitioned DB, containing users. For the
list of user's friends to be in the same DB, where the user himself is,
I need to duplicate the 'user-friend' data to the partition of the user,
and the partition of the friend.

So I need to call SEVERAL plproxy functions inside a transaction.

Well, I understand that plproxy does not support well that kind of usage
(will it?). But I need to create some mechanism to do a check and a
rollback (if neccessary) manually inside the PL/pgsql function that does
this job.

How can I do that, if, afaik, PL/pgsql does not support exception handling?

pgsql-general by date