PQinitSSL broken in some use cases

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PQinitSSL broken in some use cases
Date: 2009-01-29 20:11:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I am using a library that links with and initializes libcrypto (ie.
CRYPTO_set_locking_callback) but not SSL.  This causes problems even
when using PQinitSSL(FALSE) because things like SSL_library_init(); are
not called (unless I manually call them, copy and paste code from
fe-secure.c which may change).  If libpq does init ssl, it overwrites
(and breaks) the other library's crypto.

Shouldn't crypto and ssl init be treated as two different things?  If
not, how does one determine a version portable way of initializing SSL
in a manner required by libpq?  Lots of apps using encryption but don't
necessarily use ssl, so they need to know how to init ssl for libpq.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC