Re: mingw check hung

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mingw check hung
Date: 2009-01-28 19:05:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Per discussion I looked at just reverting that part, but that won't
> work. If we do that, the call to SetEnvironmentVariable() will not be
> run, which certainly isn't right..
>
> The problem has to be in win32env.c. I originally thought we
> accidentally called the putenv function twice in this case, but that
> code seems properly #ifdef:ed to MSVC.
>
> I'm not sure I trust the crash point at all - is this compiled with
> debug info enabled? It seems like a *very* strange line to crash on...
>
> I can't spot the error right off :-( Can you try to see if it's the
> putenv() or the unsetenv() that gets broken? (by making sure just one of
> them get replaced)
>
> //Magnus

Hi guys,

Don't know if this is relevant at all, but it reminds me of a problem I
had with environment variables in PostGIS with MingW. It was something
along the lines of environment variables set in a MingW program using
putenv() for PGPORT, PGHOST etc. weren't visible to a MSVC-compiled
libpq but were to a MingW-compiled libpq. It's fairly easy to knock up a
quick test program in C to verify this.

I eventually gave up and just built a connection string instead - for
reference the final patch is here
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-commits/2008-January/000199.html.
I appreciate it may not be 100% relevant, but I thought I'd flag it up
as possibly being a fault with the MingW putenv implementation.

HTH,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland