Re: Server Status window work

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Status window work
Date: 2009-01-27 22:01:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> The patch attached adds the control on the activity status tab. If the
>> UI glitch the previous patch had doesn't appear with this one on
>> Windows, it could be interesting to add them on the three remaining
>> ones. Unfortunately, I can't check this this week (I won't have access
>> to a Windows PC till next week).
>>
>> Can someone check this?
>
> Looks good on Windows :)

Great news.

> I see the buttons on each tab, but the slider
> just on one which is what I guess you mean be 'add them on the three
> remaining ones'.

Yeah, that's it. I'll do this right now.

>> So, what's next? would the patch be rejected if wxAUI_NB_TAB_SPLIT is
>> disabled? should I still work on this patch?
>
> Well, if it's rejected it'll be by mutual agreement. I like the
> feature enough that I think it probably should be enabled on Windows
> and Mac, and disabled on GTK until the wx folks can fix things.

OK. Good to hear :) I thought you really disliked the fact it could be
disabled on a plateforms and enabled on other ones. Dislike enough to
reject it.

> It would be worth logging/updating the bug with them.

Yes, I want to do that. I even thought I would work on that. But, with
the small delay we have, I prefer working on pgAdmin's code first.

>> On my todo list, I have now:
>>
>> * add copy of the query running on the selected backend (button before
>> Cancel Query)
>>
>> * activity view : color coding
>> * new configuration tab (Server Status) : query time limit
>> * color activity view
>> green OK, orange running but query time past a configurable limit,
>> blue idle, red waiting for a lock
>> * menu view : item to (dis)allow color coding
>>
>> * select a backend process and display just the locks it's holding, and
>> the one it's waiting on
>>
>> * enable change of connection server
>>
>> * add filter and sort for each report
>>
>> * Add a dockable toolbar to enable changing connection server, timer
>> slider, filter and sort options.
>>
>> * Add graph reports for different statistics views, something like
>> the Gnome System Monitor but specific to PostgreSQL (transaction
>> rate, read/hit ratio, number of connections, bgwriter stats come to
>> mind)
>>
>> Comments?
>
> What is your timetable for this lot? I'm expecting us to freeze within
> a few weeks. Tom wants us to get PG more or less ready for beta in two

That was also my idea after reading the whole thread on 8.4 release
planning.

> (I think it'll take a little longer but...).

Yes, probably.

> We need to concentrate on
> getting the changes in and complete one or two at a time until we run
> out of time I guess.

I'm OK for this.

If I have two weeks, I won't be able to do all of this TODO list. My
guess is that I can do at least the three first items (copy query (1
day), color coding of the activity view (three days), and the view of a
selected backend's locks (two days)). Next week will probably be quiet
for me, so I'll be able to do some pgAdmin's hacking. And I have the end
of this week too.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org