Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date: 2009-01-27 04:03:41
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Jaime, Bernd,

> having said that, i don't think that inventing new syntax is the way
> to go... a reloption seems better (thinking a little more, it could be
> a problem if the user changes the reloptions of an already created
> view)

There's also the issue with backup/restore: we need some kind of syntax
for restoring a read-only view which doesn't depend on command ordering.
So we need a ALTER VIEW SET READ ONLY or similar.

Overall, I'm starting to think there's a lot of syntax and issues that
need to be worked out, and I'm thinking it's too late in the cycle to do
that for 8.4.

--Josh