Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-27 01:22:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com> writes:
>> Are we underestimating Kaigai Kohei?
> Perhaps he walks on water, but still I'd like to have more than one
> person who has confidence that this design and implementation are correct.

Totally fair. I know I'm totally unqualified to review his buoyancy on
water, though.

>> and it seems his patches there related to postgresql were pretty widely
>> discussed on the SELinux lists:
>> http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/list-archive/0805/index.shtml#26163
>
> Well, a quick look through that thread shows a lot of discussion of the
> selinux policy code that's in the patch, which is good as far as it goes
> because for sure there's no one in *this* list who understands a line of
> that stuff.

Totally fair too.

> Mind you, I'd like nothing better than to have some NSA database
> security experts (I'm sure there are some) show up here and tell us that
> this design is good, secure, and useful --- and why. But right now we

What's the right way for us to ask them? No doubt there are some,
but how do we expect them to find & join our email list? If we
wanted more feedback would it make sense for someone who can speak
for the project to call them and ask if they'd be interested
in getting involved?