Re: postgresql 8.3 tps rate

From: "M(dot) Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb(at)cesmail(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 8.3 tps rate
Date: 2009-01-26 16:10:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Matthew Wakeling wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Actually, this isn't so much a 'pgbench' exercise as it is a source of
>> 'real-world application' data for my Linux I/O performance visualization
>> tools. I've done 'iozone' tests, though not recently. But what I'm
>> building is an I/O analysis toolset, not a database application.
>
> Are these performance results when the analysis tools are active or
> inactive? Have you investigated whether the analysis tools might be
> slowing the I/O down at all?

There is some overhead with the finest-granularity data capture tool,
blktrace. I haven't measured it yet but it is supposedly "about two
percent" according to its creators. And the trace files it creates are
shipped to a collection server over the network -- they are not stored
on the server under test.

The other tool set, sysstat, simply reads out counters from /proc. The
last time I looked at them they were using minuscule amounts of
processor and RAM and doing no disk I/O. But there are (slightly) more
efficient ways of getting the required counters from /proc, and blktrace
can actually reconstruct the I/O counters. People run *production*
servers with much more intrusive performance logging tool sets than what
I am using. :)

>> ...they told me that it was because the drive was re-ordering
>> operations according to its own internal scheduler!
>
> A modern SATA drive with native queuing will do that. SCSI drives have
> been doing that for twenty years or so.

At the CMG meeting I asked the disk drive engineers, "well, if the
drives are doing the scheduling, why does Linux go to all the trouble?"
Their answer was something like, "smart disk drives are a relatively
recent invention." But

a. SANs have been smart for years, and people with I/O intensive
workloads use SANs designed for them if they can afford them. Linux even
has a "no-op" scheduler you can use if your SAN is doing a better job.

b. The four I/O schedulers in the 2.6 kernel are relatively recent. I
can go dig up the exact release dates on the web, but their first
appearance in Red Hat was RHEL 4 / 2.6.9, and I think they've been
re-written once since then.

c. If SCSI drives have been doing their own scheduling for 20 years,
that's even less incentive for Linux to do more than just provide
efficient SCSI drivers. I've never gotten down into the nitty-gritty of
SCSI, and I'm not sure there's any reason to do so now, given that other
protocols seem to be taking the lead.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky