Re: caching indexes and pages?

From: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)fcon(dot)no>
To: Thomas Markus <t(dot)markus(at)proventis(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: caching indexes and pages?
Date: 2009-01-22 21:58:25
Lists: pgsql-performance
Thomas Markus wrote:

> try to reorganize your data with CLUSTER and create appropriate indixes
> (dont forget to check statistics).

One question. Assume I have clustered and new data has been added after
that, according to the docs that data is added "outside" of the
clustered data. What happens when I run cluster again? I would assume
its smart and to only clusteres the new data, i.e. adding it to the
already created clusters, as apporpriate, so the execution time would be
a lot lower, right? or would it run through and recluster everything
from scratch again?

thomas