Re: caching written values?

From: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)fcon(dot)no>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: caching written values?
Date: 2009-01-22 12:35:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
(Sorry, did not include the list in the reply)

Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> Yes. That's how it works.

Is that how it works for an index as well? I just found out that I have
  an index that is 35GB, and the table is 85GB.  ( I will look into the
index, it works fine, but an index that is almost one third of the size
of the table, seems a little bit strange. )
So if it works the same way and the index uses a B-tree, I assume it
only loads the pages that contains the subpart of the index that are
relevant, is this correct?

thomas