Re: More on sizing

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More on sizing
Date: 2009-01-15 15:30:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Dave Page a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Opening dlgJob/dlgStep/dlgSchedule with it's default size on Windows
>>> leaves the SQL textbox the wrong size and the Read Only checkbox
>>> obscured. Resizing the dialog fixes it in all cases.
>>>
>> This patch should fix this. It needs more code cleaning in some dialogs,
>> but it should work. Can you check on your issue? Thanks.
>
> Yup, that seems to do the job.

Here is the new version, based on the previous patch. There's a lot more
work on the different .xrc files. It fixes some issues on GTK and some
others on Mac.

I checked this patch on each platform (GTK, Mac, Windows) for each
dialog I could. These dialogs weren't part of it:

 * dlgPackage and dlgSynonym (I would need an EDB server for this).
 * dlgRep* (I would need to setup Slony support on pgAdmin).

Anyways, there's still some stuff to do:

 * dlgServer needs to be that size to work on GTK. But no component can
   grow on it, so in the two other platforms, there's a big void. We can
   avoid this with a growable DB restriction field.
 * and default sizing.

For default sizing, there's quite a lot of different sizes.

List of different widths:
 width | count
-------+-------
   248 |     1
   300 |     1
   288 |     1
   200 |     1
   205 |     2
   268 |     2
   220 |     3
   214 |     5
   218 |    40
(9 lines)

We should have only two different widths: 220 (51) and 300 (5).

List of different heights:
 height | count
--------+-------
    133 |     1
    330 |     1
    320 |     1
    270 |     1
    166 |     1
    300 |     2
    250 |     2
     83 |     2
    200 |     2
    280 |     2
    310 |     3
    198 |     3
    290 |     3
    260 |     3
    113 |     5
    138 |     5
    240 |    19
(17 lignes)

Three different heights seem better: 330 (16), 250 (27) and 150 (14).

Comments?

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org