PGCon brand

From: Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGCon brand
Date: 2009-01-11 04:21:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 16:22 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On Friday 09 January 2009 15:04:38 damien clochard wrote:
>>> i recently asked myself « how many pgdays (or 'PostgreSQL dedicated
>>> conferences' ) have been organized in 2008 ? » . My first answer were
>>> "many" and "more than in 2007" but i couldn't get any numbers easily.
>> My take on it is that there is only one pgday, just like there is only one
>> pgcon, both being kind of brand names. So I would just keep the pgday.org
>> domain for the European event in the Prato tradition.
>
> PgDay has already been absorbed into OSCON, LWE, LFNW as well as things
> like PgDay.FR , etc... PgCon is used fairly liberally as well outside
> the inner circle. Such as PgCON EU, PgCON.br. There is even a rumor of
> an international PgCon.JP in 2009.

It may be liberally used outside of PGCon, but it is certainly not with
permission or consent.

> It seems the the terms are not a brand individually but more a collage
> of a brand around PostgreSQL itself.

As the owner of pgcon.us, you obviously have a different view in terms
of what is and is not a brand, it is clearly within your interests to
take that viewpoint.

For others not aware: I am the founder of PGCon.