Re: Adding Arabic dictionary for TSearch2.. to_tsvector('arabic'...) doesn't work..

From: Andrew <archa(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Mohamed <mohamed5432154321(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding Arabic dictionary for TSearch2.. to_tsvector('arabic'...) doesn't work..
Date: 2009-01-10 10:14:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Mohamed wrote:
> Thank you for you detailed answer. I have learned alot more about this
> stuff now :)
Your welcome :-)

> As I see it accordingly to the results it's between Hunspell and
> Aspell. My Aspell version is 0.6 released 2006. The Hunspell was
> released in 2008.
>
> When I run the Postgres command \dFt I get the following list :
>
> * ispell
> * simple
> * snowball
> * synonym
> * thesaurus
>

> So I set up my dictionary with the ispell as a template and
> Hunspell/Aspell files. Now I just have one decision to make :)
>
> Just another thing:
>
> If you want to support multiple language dictionaries for a single
> table, with each row associated to its own dictionary
>

> Not really, since the two languages don't overlap, couldn't I set up
> two separate dictionaries and index against both on the whole table ?
> I think that's what Oleg was refering to. Not sure...
Neither am I, so when in doubt, try it out. And let us know the results.

> Thanks for all the help / Moe
>
> Ps. I can't read Arabic so I can't have a look on the files to decide :O

In which case, assuming you do not have access to a friend who is able
to read Arabic, either choose the file with the most entries (making
assumption that more is better) or take the one that came with the
dictionary (assuming that those two will be best matched) or if you
still can't decide, flip a coin. As you can't read Arabic, it is not as
if you are in a position to put both files through their paces and test
them against a word list, picking the one that gives you the best
results for the type of words your text is likely to contain.

Cheers,

Andy