Re: Question on libpq.so

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "L(dot) Zhao" <lzhao86(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question on libpq.so
Date: 2009-01-09 02:45:33
Lists: pgsql-php
L. Zhao wrote:
> We are in the process of upgrading our postgres database from 7.4 to 8.2
> on Redhat ES4 server.  Postgresql uses libpq.so.5.0, while libpq.so.3
> was initially installed and is needed by php.  I did the postgresql
> 8.2.10 installation without dependency:
> rpm -Uvh --nodeps postgresql-*.rpm

Was there a reason why you had to use --nodeps? Exactly which rpms did
you install?

> Then I try to recompile PHP 4.3.9 rpm, hoping that it will point to the
> new postgres so.  The compilation failed with the error:
> Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php4/pgsql.so' - libpq.so.3:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on
> line 0

As Alan pointed out, this is a runtime error not a compile error. How
did you rebuild the php 4.3.9 rpm? Any errors during that process?

> Can PHP 4.3 work with postgresql 8.2, and how can I point PHP rpm to use
> libpq.so.5?  Thanks.

Once you have it compiled properly it should work fine.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/