Re: incoherent view of serializable transactions

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,"Kevin Grittner" <Kgrittn(dot)CCAP(dot)Courts(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,"Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,"Emmanuel Cecchet" <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: incoherent view of serializable transactions
Date: 2009-01-08 14:45:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> How could you possibly get any of those phenomena if there are no
>>> concurrent transactions?
>>
>> I see what you mean now, but you could write out that logic in more
>> detail.
>
> Those weren't my words; I was quoting the SQL spec.

Last night I was reviewing my proposed patch from this thread, to try
to address other expressed concerns, and noticed that I had used this
language from the SQL spec in the patch.  I see your point now.
Without the same context as the spec, and when intended for a
different audience, this language probably isn't the best.  It now
also occurs to me that the spec is a copyrighted work, and it probably
isn't appropriate to copy a chunk that big into PostgreSQL docs.

I'll write something in my own words to replace this.

Thanks for the input, and sorry for misunderstanding.

-Kevin