Re: [SPAM] Re: posix_fadvise v22

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: posix_fadvise v22
Date: 2009-01-05 08:42:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:

>> On Friday 02 January 2009 06:49:57 Greg Stark wrote:
>>> The guc run-time check is checking for known-buggy versions of glibc
>>> using sysconf to check what version of glibc you have.
>> Could you please mention the bug number in the relevant source code comments?
>
> It's Debian bug# 312406 which was fixed in Debian release 2.3.5-3. So it's
> probably one of these but searching for posix_fadvise doesn't find anything in
> their bug tracker:

The way I read this is that this was a temporary kernel/libc mismatch in
a development version of Debian 3 years ago that was fixed within 2
months of being reported and was never released to the general public.
So it would be on the same level as any of a million temporary breakages
in Linux distributions under development.

Unless there are other reports of this problem, I wouldn't bother
testing or working around this at all. If people are running PostgreSQL
8.4+ on Debian unstable June 2005 with kernel 2.4, they cannot be helped.