Re: Copyright update

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Copyright update
Date: 2009-01-01 23:00:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Chernow wrote:
>
>> I am not a lawyer, but if its one work, why is there a notice in every source
>> file?  ISTM that if it were one work there would only have to be one notice.
>>

> Because people often take source files and copy them for use in other
> projects.

As per my previous message, although people do this, it is not "safer"
to copy a file without an explicit copyright embedded within the file,
than to copy a file without an explicit copyright embedded within the
file. The explicit copyright embedded serves more of a warning for
people that don't know better to guilt them into thinking twice before
doing whatever they are doing, than an actual legal requirement for
enforcement of copyright restrictions.

Cheers,
mark

--