version() output vs. 32/64 bits

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: version() output vs. 32/64 bits
Date: 2008-12-30 08:42:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
It has been pointed out to me that the output of the version() function
is becoming more confusing in face of mixed 32/64 bit environments.
Output like i486-pc-linux-gnu just says what kind of kernel the build
environment has, not whether you actually have a IA-32 build.
Conversely, amd64-pc-linux-gnu could very well be a 32-bit build.
Solaris similar issues.  Moreover, there does not actually seem to be a
way to find out whether you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit build (except by
using OS tools).

I'm not quite sure yet how to address this.  Do others have similar
experiences or certain information requirements?  Other ideas?