Re: CPU load

From: kiki(at)fesb(dot)hr
To: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, "Scott Marlowe *EXTERN*" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CPU load
Date: 2008-09-29 07:17:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks’ for the instructions for detecting the problem.
It helped a lot.

First I have increased shared_buffers from 2000 to 8000. Since the
postgresql is on Debian I had to increase SHMMAX kernel value.
Everything is working much faster now.
There is still heavy load of postmaster process (up to 100%) for a simple
query

EXPLAIN ANALYSE SELECT * FROM system_alarm WHERE id_camera='3' AND
confirmed='false' AND dismissed='false' ORDER BY date DESC, time DESC
LIMIT 1;

(the table is indexed by id_camera, has around 1 milion rows, and this
query returns around 700000 rows and is executed (EXPLAIN ANALYSE) in
around 4800 ms, and this table is queried a lot although not so often
queried modified)

but I don't think that is strange behavior of the postgresql.
And it is exhibited all the time; the postgresql reset does not influence
it at all.
Once again thanks a lot, I learned a lot.

Regards,
Maja