Hot standby and b-tree killed items

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hot standby and b-tree killed items
Date: 2008-12-19 08:49:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Whenever a B-tree index scan fetches a heap tuple that turns out to be
dead, the B-tree item is marked as killed by calling _bt_killitems. When
the page gets full, all the killed items are removed by calling
_bt_vacuum_one_page.

That's a problem for hot standby. If any of the killed b-tree items
point to a tuple that is still visible to a running read-only
transaction, we have the same situation as with vacuum, and have to
either wait for the read-only transaction to finish before applying the
WAL record or kill the transaction.

It looks like there's some cosmetic changes related to that in the
patch, the signature of _bt_delitems is modified, but there's no actual
changes that would handle that situation. I didn't see it on the TODO on
the hot standby wiki either. Am I missing something, or the patch?

--
Heikki Linnakangas