Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle
Date: 2008-12-15 08:25:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> Well, running an official TPC benchmark is an interesting process.
> First, you have to have a spec-compliant benchmark kit, which we
> don't.

Well, then the first order of business would be to write a benchmark
kit.  I have been thinking for a while that we should make our own
maintained version of the DBT+* suite, or whatever other suite is
appropriate.  And then start running it.

The rest of this discussion, while interesting, cannot really lead to
any improvements, because none of the results and analyses can be
published.  Like, you know, "I have these great insights into important
problems, but I cannot tell you about them."

Is it possible to write a possibly eventually compliant benchmark kit
under open-source terms?