Re: tuning question

From: David Gardner <david(at)gardnerit(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL List - Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tuning question
Date: 2008-12-12 16:08:57
Lists: pgsql-novice
Take a look at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-resource.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-RESOURCE-MEMORY
and
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC

I am not sure if RedHat provides different default values than what
PostgreSQL normally comes with.
I would also run some typical test queries after changing some of these
values, especially work_mem to make sure your not impacting performance
too heavily.

I'm not sure what else is running on the system, or what type of usage
you are expecting, but 2GB of ram might turn out to be enough for
PostgreSQL.

Also take a look at this:
http://www.revsys.com/writings/postgresql-performance.html

I found it to be useful, although I believe some of the suggestions the
author makes are assuming that you have a large PostgreSQL installation.
He has an interesting note about random_page_cost which might be one of
the numbers you might want to change.

--
David Gardner