Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Date: 2008-12-12 08:18:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> KaiGai Kohei wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>>
>>> Because we want to use SQL-based row access control and SELinux-based
>>> row access control at the same time. Isn't this exactly one of the
>>> objections upthread? Both must be available at the same time.
>>
>> Please make clear the meaning of "use".
>> As you said, if your concern is based on packaging/distributing issue,
>> I suggested an alternative proposal which allows to compile multiple
>> security mechanism and to choose one of them on runtime.
>
> I would like to be able to assign SQL-level ACLs and SELinux labels to
> the same row at the same time in the same build, and have the system
> enforce both on top of each other.

In my opinion, it makes more pains (user-interface, performance, complexity
of implementation and so on) than its benefit which allows to support MAC
and DAC concurrently.

>>> We can debate the merits of having, say, SELinux plus Solaris TX at
>>> the same time, but if we can have two as per previous paragraph, we
>>> should design for several.
>>
>> What platform is available for both of SELinux and Solaris TX?
>
> Well, Solaris, if you believe various rumours. I agree the case for
> this might be weak, though.

Are you saying about Solaris FMAC project?
It is a different platform from Trusted Solaris.

Thanks,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC