Re: simple example of copying data from a c/c++ array into postgres

From: Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Whit Armstrong <armstrong(dot)whit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simple example of copying data from a c/c++ array into postgres
Date: 2008-12-11 16:20:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Whit Armstrong wrote:

> can copy be used to append data to a table?

Yes.  The only thing it will not do for you is update existing rows.

> The only reason I'm hesitant to use the copy command is because I
> would have to render every row of my data to a string, and 64bit
> doubles could mean long strings, formating issues, etc.
>
> roughly what I was thinking was (this is pseudocode):
>
> PGtuple myTuple = createTuple();
> myTuple.push_back(toPGDate(myDate));
> myTuple.push_back(toPGDouble(myDouble));
> etc...
>
> PGinsert_tuple(conn, myDestinationTable, myTuple);
>
> are there facilities to do something like that, or am I really reaching here?

In libpqxx I mostly provide self-made text conversions, but you can also
use the standard library to "print" most values into text buffers.  Just
be sure to use the C locale where you do this, or you might end up with
strange bugs depending on local notations!

Jeroen